Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Hidden gem - Amy Butler Design

Share
There are a few design elements that always seem just out of reach. Things I have trouble finding in mainstream shops include convex mirrors (ok, I admit, this is pretty specific!), quality fabrics and cool affordable rugs. Other items such as lamps, desks and end tables seem to be a dime a dozen.


Many of these design needs can be found in smaller shops of talented designers. I was recently talking with my friend Leslie about art and design. I swear we could go on for hours on the topic. Leslie is very talented at surface design and sewing! During our discussion, Leslie brought Amy Butler Design to my attention. Amy Butler's fabrics, organic bedding, rugs, wall art and wallpapers are all worth checking out. Her designs are amazing and can be found at her online shop or used as inspiration for your own designs or projects.


Leslie has made a little girl's dress out of fabric by Amy Butler. The dress has all sorts of little interesting details and is adjustable for a growing child. 


One of the great things about the dress is that the combination of fabric patterns really compliment each other and create interest. This same principle can be applied to interior design. Consider making your duvet cover out of one fabric and curtains out of another or pillows out of one fabric and contrasting wall art with another design.







Woah wait, did you say wallpaper? Don't we all hate wallpaper and immediately begin the arduous task of removing it when moving into a new house kind of like the ceiling fan situation? I think the backlash of dusty rose florals and crafty designs have jaded us from considering wallpaper for a looooong time. I personally had rainbow wallpaper in my room in the early 80's. I loved it! I am not so sure the people that bought the house after us really loved it. 


The thing is, there are some pretty amazing wallpaper designs out there. However, there are things to consider before pasting art to your walls in a semi-permanent fashion.


  • How much do you love it? The answer should be a 9-10 on a scale of 10. Wallpaper is not for the faint at heart and cannot be easily painted over or removed.
  • How about wallpaper on just one wall? The thought of removing wallpaper in a few years on one wall is much easier to stomach than an entire room.
  • Does the room already have a focal point? If yes, wallpaper may possibly be overkill. If no, wallpaper on a focal wall may be just what your room needs to be fabulous.


Here are some examples of some of Amy Butler wallpaper designs.



*Amy Butler images can be found here.



2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading all of your interesting tips. It reminds me to look for inspiration every where, especially the unexpected places. I'm so glad to share my most recent inspiration, Amy Butler, with you. I just had to make SOMETHING from this fabric, I don't even have any little girls. Thankfully there are a few wonderful little women in my life! I look forward to seeing how Amy's pizazz influences your jewlery! http://marielottodesign.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come do a makeover at my house Leslie :) Hear ya on the lack of gals in the house, bummer, since these boys only care about tshirts and gym shorts !

    ReplyDelete